Are you planning a solo trip through a Spanish speaking country this summer? You may or may not expect to run into someone that catches your eye – I mean, it usually happens at an unexpected time in an unusual place (trust me, I know from personal experience). Whether it’s at the bar, in your hostel or climbing up a mountain in humid weather… you can surely impress a Spanish speaking native with your ability to flirt!
Here are a few helpful tips to flirting in one of the most romantic languages in the world!
Ok, let’s say you see someone who looks absolutely irresistible sitting across from you at tapas bar. Check yourself out in the mirror first to make sure you don’t have anything on your face/ in your teeth, and strut on over to where they are sitting. After the initial Hola, you may nervously begin to stumble through pickup lines in your head. Before something ridiculous comes out of your mouth, here are some good follow up phrases:
- Can I buy you a drink? – ¿Te invito a tomar algo? (Nobody can deny a free drink!)
- Would you like to dance with me? – ¿Quieres bailar conmigo?
- Nice to meet you – Mucho gusto
Maybe you want to compliment them on their features (because who doesn’t love having their ego fed?)
- You’re cute – Eres lindo/linda.
- You have a beautiful smile – Tienes una sonrisa muy bonita
- You have beautiful eyes – Tienes hermosos ojos.
Now, if you’ve had a few drinks in you and are feelings confident, then maybe you want something a bit more fun to say? It is not unusual for Spanish men to use outrageous pickup lines on women, so if you’re a guy I guess you can really get into the mindset of a Spaniard by using the following lines:
- Is it hot in here or is it just you? – ¿Hace calor aquí, o eres tù?
- If kissing you were a sin, I’d happily walk through hell – Si besarte fuera pecado, caminaría feliz por el infierno.
If all goes well, be sure to end the night with a cute farewell:
- Would you like me to walk you home? – ¿Quieres que te acompañe a la casa?
- When can I see you again? – ¿Cuándo te vuelvo a ver?
If you want to learn some more tips, tricks and pickup lines for the next time you travel to a Spanish speaking country, then check out the our upcoming Spanish workshops at Language Corner! Choose from one of two classes – such as the “Backpackers Essentials Workshop,” to guide you through the language barriers of travelling, or improve your pick-up lines in the complete “Flirting in Spanish” workshop!